What's coming up?
PTA Open House
Thursday, August 28
Teachers will present two sessions, one at 6:30 and one at 7:05, to share classroom procedures and answer general questions. Come meet your child's teacher. Students are welcome and encouraged to come.
International Dot Day
Some classes will participate in International Dot Day which celebrates creativity, courage, and collaboration. Students with signed permission to share work may have their dot posted online!
PTA Trick or Trunk
In the News
Microsoft Student Advantage Program for Virginia Beach City Public Schools
A new initiative from Microsoft will enable every VBCPS student to access Office 365 at no charge. With Office 365, your child will have access to programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and more. It's automatically updateable, which means your child will be working with the latest versions of the software.
• Install on up to 5 compatible PCs and Macs, plus 5 tablets (including iPad!)
• Use with OneDrive for automatic device syncing
• Gain valuable skills on the world's most popular productivity software
This offer is available to all VBCPS students. To get your student's free Office 365 visit http://www.vbschools.com/students/advantage/index.asp and follow the download instructions.
Student ID and network password are required for download. If you don't know the student ID and/or password, contact the school's Computer Resource Specialist.
Our theme this year is "The world would be a better place if....."
All students received a flier about reflections.
If your child is interested in participating, information packets with the contest's rules and regulations are available online
@ hhtp:/www.vapta.org/arts-in-education/reflections.html or at the security desk near the main office.
All entries are due by Wednesday, October 15th.
Prizes will be awarded to winners in each category.
Searching for Hidden Treasure!
Every season is Box Top season at Indian Lakes!
- Grade level contests/competitions run continuously throughout the school year. (K-2, 3-5)
- The winning grade level in each division will be recognized with a special treat from the PTA!
- Box Tops can be sent in at any time on collection sheets or in plastic bags. It is important that they be labeled with the grade level.
- Progress posters will be located in the front foyer and main intersection for students to check the progress of all the grade levels.
- Enlist the help of neighbors, friends, and relatives. Many people don't know what to do with their Box Tops.
- You can also earn E-Box Tops when shopping online. Check out the website for details.
- You can get coupons for Box Top products, delicious recipes, and enter contest to win free Box Tops for our school at www.boxtopsforeducation.com!
- All funds raised, go directly back into activities, programs and other gifts to the students.
The competition is now on!!! Good luck on this year's assignment.
Attention Parents: Beach Bag Information
Indian Lakes ES participates in the Beach Bag Program. This program, initiated by Virginia Beach City Public Schools Parent Connection, provides students in need with necessary food items over the weekend. Currently the program serves hundreds of students from elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the division. Food is packed in plastic or paper bags and placed in a student's back pack to take home at the end of the day on Friday. Bags are handed out on a one-on-one basis so that others do not know who might be participating in the program. In an effort to better serve our students, beach bags will be distributed based on need and interest in the program. If you are interested in periodically receiving a "beach bag" of food items, please return the orange application that was sent home this week. Upon qualification, your children's names will be placed on a confidential list and when bags are available, they will be placed in your child's back pack to take home.
I am very excited to be able to offer this program to our families. Also for those interested we will also be hosting a Beach Bag Food Drive later this year to help support this city-wide program. If you have any questions, please contact me at 757-648-2692 or [email protected] Thank you!
2014-15 Indian Lakes Gifted Testing Schedule
Below are the screening and testing dates for the 2014-2015 school year. Please keep in mind that all parent referral forms must be completed at least two weeks prior to the testing date to allow sufficient time to complete teacher referrals and process paperwork. Of course, we would welcome the paperwork earlier. All referrals must be submitted to Heather Brooks, our Gifted Resource teacher.
10/10/2014 – Fifth Grade Screening for ALL fifth grade students.
11/21/2014 – Gifted Testing for students in grades 2-4.
2/2/2015 – All KLMS and Plaza MYP applications due.
2/6/2015 – First Grade Screening for ALL first grade students.
3/2/2015 – All First Grade applications due.
3/6/2015 – ODC/KLMS testing for applicants and selected fifth grade students.
4/17/2015 – First Grade Testing-for students referred for additional testing.
5/15/15 – Testing for students who are new to VBCPS and second graders that have been placed on HOLD.